Planning for College and Beyond
One of the essential goals in the Cascades Academy Upper School program is setting up our students for future success. For many, this starts with the progression into higher education. For others, it means working in volunteer organizations, trades, or taking a gap year to gain life experience before returning to formal education. In order to prepare our students for all of these opportunities, Cascades Academy focusses on each individual student, recognizing and developing their passions through experiential programs such as the Mastery Project and Legacy Project. The Advisory program also provides each student with a personal advisor who helps match individuals with learning experiences, both locally and globally. These learning experiences provide students with the opportunity to further develop areas of interest that will help them determine future career paths.
CACO changed my life!
-Graduate, Class of 2008
For most students, getting into the college of their choice is a dream to be fulfilled during their high school years. We realize that an important step in turning this dream into a reality is the execution of an effective college counseling and admissions process. At first glance, the college application and admission process can seem daunting. The college counseling process consists of thoughtful actions and decisions necessary in making the transition from high school to post-secondary education. Our college counselor is here specifically to assist upper school students in this process; the student is the most important person in the process and the counselor’s job is to facilitate his or her journey.
A key element to a successful college application process is the student’s willingness to work hard. Students must be willing to commit to investigating both the colleges and themselves. The first step involves in-depth self-reflection about the student’s needs, strengths, and talents along with an honest appraisal of his or her academic history. This self-evaluation is one of the most critical elements in the equation, since it is difficult to make sound decisions about which school to attend unless the student knows who they are and what they bring to the process.
At Cascades Academy, we believe there is no "best college." Instead, there is a "right college" for every student. Our certified college counselor offers each upper school student support and advice with the college admissions process.
Future Counseling Services
- Individual future counseling for students including different colleges that match interests and/or gap year opportunities
- Personalized counseling for families
- Open-door communication with college counselor, even during summer months
- Financial aid advising including assistance with the FAFSA, CSS Profile, and scholarship opportunities
- Teacher and counselor recommendations that highlight the individuality of each student
- Guidance through the college essay process including preparation, writing, and editing
- Scheduled 1-hour block dedicated to college counseling each week
- Multi-day college tour; for example, last fall students visited University of Denver, Colorado College, UC Boulder, Regis College, and Colorado State University
- SAT/ACT Prep Course and additional assistance as needed
- PSAT preparation and administration
- College representative visits to campus
- Visit to regional college fair
- College Night event featuring presentations from a variety of schools and Q&A with college admissions experts
100% College Acceptance
Since our first graduating class of 2005, Cascades Academy has had 49 graduates; 100% were accepted to college. Alumni of Cascades Academy have been accepted at:
Albertson College, Boston College, Carroll College, Colorado College, Cornish School of Art, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Eckerd College, Emerson College, The Evergreen State College, Gonzaga University, Grinnell College, Humboldt State University, Kenyon College, Lewis & Clark College, Linfield College, Loyola Marymount University, Lynchburg College, Menlo College, Montana State University, Naropa University, Northern Arizona University, Occidental College, Oregon Institute of Technology, Oregon State University, Pacific Northwest College of Art, Pacific University, Portland State University, Prescott University, Purdue University, Quest University, Reed College, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Santa Clara University, Seattle Pacific University, Seattle University, Southern Oregon University, St. Mary's College of California, Trinity University, University of Arizona, University of Denver, University of Idaho, University of Oregon, University of Oregon-Robert D. Clark Honors College, University of Portland, University of Puget Sound, University of Redlands, University of San Francisco, University of San Diego, University of Vermont, Washington State University, Whitman College, and Willamette University.