Upper School Scholarships
Cascades Academy offers two different scholarships for upper school students.
The Impact Scholarship was created to award academic excellence in students who are making an impact in their community. This scholarship will cover from $1,000 to $12,000 of tuition costs for students entering grades 9-12.
Impact scholarships are completely merit based. Families can also apply for a need-based scholarship to cover remaining tuition. The school will award scholarships based on the quality of the applicants who apply each year.
To apply for the Impact Scholarship, students must complete the following steps:
- Submit transcripts from the last two years (current year and prior year of school).
- Submit 2 letters of recommendation. Letters should highlight applicant’s academic strengths, innovation, and creativity, as well as their commitment to social justice and community service. (Note: these letters are submitted in addition to the Teacher Recommendations required in the application for admission)
- Submit an essay (up to 500 words) in response to one of the following prompts:
- Discuss an organization you are currently involved with that is having a positive impact on your community. What made you decide to become part of this organization? What specific contributions have you brought to the group? What things have you learned?
- Discuss a need you see in the central Oregon community and some solutions you see that could meet that need. How could these solutions be implemented? What role would you see yourself playing?
- The term “diversity” is used frequently as a desired quality for a school population. Discuss what a diverse school community looks like to you. What are the challenges that are present when you bring a diverse group together? How might a school solve those challenges?
Scholarship award winners will be announced in the spring.
The Kelly Young Scholarship is a need-based scholarship that was created in honor of Kelly Young, who believed in providing access to educational opportunities and resources to students of diverse backgrounds. Cascades Academy is honored to offer this scholarship in her name.
Kelly Young Scholars will receive this need-based scholarship each year the student is in excellent academic standing, is actively participating in and enriching the Cascades Academy community, and qualifies for financial assistance.
Who is eligible?
- This scholarship is available to students new to the upper school (grades 9 through 12) who have demonstrated academic success and a commitment to their school community.
- Applicants will be assessed based on past academic performance, contributions to their community, and a personal interview.
- Families must qualify for at least 30% ($4,000) of tuition in financial assistance funds in accordance with SSS guidelines.
How do I apply?
- Interested candidates should follow the normal application procedures for admission and financial aid. In addition, applicants must submit an essay as described below.
- Kelly Young Scholars will be notified upon their offer of admission.
Essay Prompt: How will you make a positive difference in your community now and into the future?
Kelly Young strongly believed that individuals should make a positive difference in their community in whatever way was possible for them. At Cascades Academy, our mission statement reads,
The phrase "to inspire socially responsible individuals" was intentionally chosen to demonstrate the high level of importance the school places on instilling an ethic of giving back in our students. In fact, we think that cultivating an innate desire in our students to make a positive difference is one of the most foundational and powerful ways the school can make a difference in our diverse and changing world.
As you think about your future as a student in our Cascades Academy community, please describe the ways in which you plan to positively give back to both the Cascades Academy school community and the greater community.
As you think about your role as a "socially responsible individual ready for a diverse and changing world" well beyond graduation, please describe the ways in which you would like to make a positive difference in the lives of others. Dream big. (500 word maximum.
Cascades Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, national or ethnic origin, or any other legally protected status in the administration or educational policies, admission policies, scholarship programs, or athletic and other school administered programs.